»

Thursday, March 5, 2009

First

Look, it's a blog!

This week my little brother has been home on break. Which means that I've been cooking and baking like a fiend. He gets all the usual foods he likes: BBQ pork chops (thanks BettyCrocker!), stir fry of my own concoction, etc. He seemed most into the one item that I've never made before, funnel cake. Yes, the summertime-carnival-ride-of-death-random-festival staple of awesome fried goodness. I found some recipes, then ghetto rigged my own. That's just how I roll.


Funnel Cake of +5 Awesome
1 egg
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (use more or less depending on your likes)
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Oil (I didn't measure, just eyeballed it)
Confectioners sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, or whatever else you want to put on top!

Beat the egg with the milk, vanilla and sugar until combined. Add in the flour, baking powder, and salt and combine. The batter should be liquidy enough to flow through a funnel. If not, add more milk or flour to get it to the right consistency.

Pour oil into an 8" skillet (deep sides are a plus). I heated it over medium, and I have no clue what the final temperature was. I tested it by placing a drop of batter into the oil, and when it sizzled, I figured it was ready.

Pour the batter into a plastic zipper bag (1/4 cup increments). Snip off the tip so it's like you've got a homemade pastry bag. Squirt the batter into the oil using a circular motion. Zigzag it all over and what have you. Just make sure that it's not all going in one area. Make it look like the yumminess from festivals.

Fry it up to whatever level of golden you like. I like mine deep so it gets all crunchy, while my brother likes his a bit doughier. Flip it using a wide spatula, tongs, or a combination of the two. Fry the second side, again to your own person level of doneness. Drain on a paper towel lined plate and cover it in whatever toppings you like!

NOM NOM NOM

p.s. This is awesome! Read and listen!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Testing! Testing! 1! 2! 3!